Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A bundle of goodies for all y'all today! With the coming of the end of the year, everything is done in bulk, which is good! More art with fewer updates!

To start, our final character project is basically a rehash of previous projects, namely character posing and expression. This time however, we designed one character and then created a character package, a single sheet reference for the animator to use.

I like how this one turned out, besides being a better anthropomorphic than the last project, I think my clean up and posing were better this time around... not perfect of course, but adequate.

Our final painting projects are also due, and this time we had TWO paintings! O_O... It was more enjoyable than I'm letting on. :P

The first was a copy of a master's work. We could chose anything to use, so because backgrounds are his specially, I chose a Miyazaki background from Spirited Away! (also an AWESOME FILM!!!)

I REALLY like how this turned out. Probably because it was a complete copy, it left little room open for mistakes. Although some of the colours are off, and the shades really diluted, it's still one really kick-ass painting! Thank you Mr. Miyazaki!


This is the original from Miyazaki's Spirited Away. Behold it's pure AWESOMENESS!

Following this, we had to paint another background using the same painting style from the first, but this time it was your own rendition of another story, which we got to pick for a list. I chose the Hobbit and the interior of Bilbo's house. (partially because I could just watch Lord of the Rings to get an idea. :P) So here is the result.

I am rather displeased with the way this one turned out. Besides not really following the same painting method, I find I'm terrible at designing interiors. I was pretty hard, unlike the first one, to get textures, proper shades, and a direct light source. My biggest quarrel is with Gouache! It's really hard to use because of the water base and thinning out of the colours! UGH! Somehow it worked for the exterior, but not the interior...sigh...

Finally, we had caricaturing in life drawing last week. Surprisingly, I loved it! It was fun to draw some of our classmates, and because they're good sports, you could exaggerate without fear of disapproval... which is probably more than you could say about people at a fair or carnival... But anyway, here is what I got:

Scotty

Daniel

Keith

Kyle Wilson

Giovanni

Shen Ramu

Katarina Antonic

Kevin Williams

Eyassu Asalef

A lot of these turned out pretty well (or better than I hoped). All have their issues, but it's inspired me to practice caricaturing more, likely over the summer. So next year, I'll be much better at portrait and character! ;)

On a related note, I know I don't post may life drawings up here... it's because I suck at it :P But also because I'm too lazy to scan them... for now. Stay tuned, I'll post them over the summer.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

i have to say.. the painting ext is fantastic! almost dead on to the original.
gouche! oooh that fun fun paint stuff! the secret to it is how much water you add to it when you come to paint.. the more water the more it will look like watercolor ((obviously nicer though)) and the less water.. the more like acrylic.

keep up the good work jermey! i can't wait to see what you have in store for the next 3 years! best of luck to you.

Jeremy said...

Thanks so much Sammi! :D

Ya, I'm really happy with how the exterior turned out too... tho' it was fairly easy since I didn't have to think about colours much :P... which is what I had to do for the bloody interior (I also hate interiors...). But ya, I'm getting better at using Goauche, tho' I still hate it. I'm better at opaque (which is difficult with the anti-spread-ness of Goauche), so my attempts at transparent colouring are still novice, but that's what practicing will improve soon enough! :D

Thanks again! I look forward to your opinions of my work ahead! :) And stay tuned, I'll be trying to do some more stuff over the summer (for once). I just bought a tablet, so I'm gonna try my hand at digital painting!