Sunday, August 29, 2010

Canadian Landscape

This weekend I was up in the beautiful cottage country around Parry Sound with my friends, at a lovely house that backed onto the water of Lake Manitouwabing. We were treated to beautiful weather as well. While up there, I worked on a quick watercolour painting of the view over the water from the dock behind the house.

Artistically, I can't say I worked really carefully on it. The process was more of a splish-splash of colour and trying to capture of the atmosphere of the lake around the setting sun, hence why some of the lighting and shadows might seem off... because they are! The painting part was quickly done over maybe a half hour to an hour, and given the right amount of extra time to work I could probably have planned the colour palette better and put in finer details. Oh well, at least I managed to fit a quick painting while out in the wilderness.


*note: I added the greyscale in photoshop just because it shows off the range of the palette, but it is not it's own painting*

I would like to know if you feel this piece is successful as it is, or what techniques I can try doing next time to enhance the atmosphere.

Otherwise, it was a very good weekend! :)

No comments: